Friday, June 11, 2010

Decisions have costs; change is expensive

I've read some fascinating things lately about the energy cost (as measured by brain imaging) of making decisions, resisting temptation, and why that makes it hard for individuals to change their behavior.

I have vivid recollections of being exhausted by all the decisions I had to make setting up a new household. Some of the decisions had significant consequences--which house was I going to rent? Others were utterly trivial--which of the 16 different kinds of kitchen trash cans that they sell at Home Depot was I going to buy? And the funny thing was that make a bunch of inconsequential decisions was far more draining than making a couple of important ones. Apparently now there is science to back up my personal beliefs about that.

I'm not quite sure how to apply all this to Agile/Lean software development. I think the best match might be in the arena of Real Options. They conciously choose to delay decisions. Hopefully in additional to better information, they will have fully re-charged brains when the have to make the final choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment